Monday, September 21, 2009

Introduction

Welcome to my gallery.  My name is Kathryn Erickson. This is a place where you can view a few baskets at your leisure and read about each as it was created. Some evolved without a whimper while others seemed to drag on forever. Read on and enjoy the pictures.  Many are for sale.

Artist's Statement
When in 2002 I saw pine needles being coiled into a basket at an art festival in Tampa, Florida, I was intrigued by the simplicity of using such a common commodity as pine needles to create such a beautiful object. My sixth creation won a first place prize and I’ve now made over 300 baskets. I knew then this hobby was growing into a full time second profession. Each unique piece reflects my growth as an artist who is constantly looking for new methods and presentations.

Pine needle coiling is a slow time consuming process taking much patience as a basket unfolds. Many pieces take months to finish. Since I envision each piece as a finished work, sometimes I present myself with construction problems. Attaching pine needles to the agate without drilling or using adhesives is one of those difficulties. Overcoming a problem is one of the more rewarding aspects of my work.

Currently I am working on incorporating other natural fibers in my work. I join pine needle coiling with traditional basket materials such as muhly grass, cane, and other Florida flora. I also use hand spun cashmere and angora fleece from very loving goats. Evolving from pine needles sewn with raffia to the more modern forms I work on now has taken a short few years, but I expect I will continue to grow as an artist and incorporate new techniques and materials. Seeing my visions turn into a finished work of art and admired by many fills me with great gratification.









No comments:

Post a Comment